It’s impossible not to say about bottle-nosed dolphin’s “unique feature” – their aspiration for the establishment of different forms of contact with a man. It is enough to remember stories about the boys and dolphins, which were written almost two thousands years ago by the elder Pliniy. The boy named Dionisiy domesticated the dolphin and rode by it on public and he was very successful in it. Not only ancient sources but modern scientific and popular editions are full of stories about dolphins-carriers, dolphins-fishermen’s assistants, dolphins-rescuers, dolphins-partners in plays with children and adults. Beneficial influence of children’s contact with nice sea animals was fixed as early as 1978 by the scientists of Great Britain.
In present time Mexico takes first place in the world after the USA by the scale of dolphin therapy use in medical practice. The treatment of children-invalids with the help of dolphins began in Nurnberg (Germany). As the manager of the project professor Ervin Brightenbach informed two first weeks of experiment in dolphinarium of the local zoo gave very hopeful results.
Eight children with serious psychical deflections after the plays in water with dolphins demonstrate marked improvement: they became more independent and apprehend surroundings more adequately. In psychological practice of our country dolphin therapy is a new trend and it counts not more than 4-5 years, that’s why the necessity of the theoretical and practical working out of this method has appeared, though abroad this trend is developing from the 70-th of the 20-th century, the accessible information gives an idea only about rough trend of work in this sphere.
Dolphin therapy is an alternative, not traditional method of psychotherapy where the contact of man and dolphin lies in the centre of psychotherapeutic process. It is a specially organized process proceeded under the control of specialists such as: doctor, veterinary, trainer, psychologist (psychotherapist, speech pathologist, educational specialist). In the psychotherapy specially trained animals, possessed “good nature” take part. Dolphins play with patients, swim, ride, stroke, ask for the reciprocal caress.
The contact with dolphin allows to achieve the following:
- to come to the fundamental reconstruction of the attitude to yourself, to the surroundings, to the nature, to the world in general;
- to get a man out of selfisolation captivity, to stimulate the development of interest to the outside world, that is the condition to establishment, restoration, correction, optimization of the social relations.
- to take the part of sensory stimulator making the work of cerebral structures and all the organism in the whole more active;
- to stimulate the verbal expression favouring the speech and sensorimotor development of the children with autism and children with the low level of intellect;
- to stimulate the process of personal development;
- to fill the deficiency of positive emotions and to provide support to the children and adults suffering from the loneliness and the disadaptative state, to satisfy the affelyatative requirements;
- to create conditions for the emotional relieve through the contact stimulation;
- to create conditions for the contact of children with psychotherapist strengthening.